My Blog List

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Why isn't Training and Development Important?





In a world of highly educated members, why isn't learning considered a continues adventure?  Why do we have to constantly fight to justify funds to support programs design to improve workforces ability to stay ahead of game?  Within the next eight week I hope to find the answers to these and other questions.  


I have included my podcast of my hypothetical elevator speech, as assigned to depict how I would get the attention of someone in my company, in order to share this untapped resource called training and development of personnel.  I look forward to hearing what you think.





(Having a little trouble, please stand by)


The following is a written transcript of my hypothetical elevator speech podcast:



Hello Mr. Russell, thank you for agreeing to meet with me, my name is Sandra Acol and I’m with your Training and Development Team.  

As I briefing discussed over the phone, I wanted to share with you some more information on training strategies, that can be used to save your department money.   As you well know, just from listening to the 6 o’clock news or even reading the Wall Street Journal more and more companies today are facing budget cuts and downsizing of personnel in order to manage their bottom-line during these hard times.  

I can see, that you are probably thinking to yourself, how can training and development help me save money?  Am I right, Mr. Russell?  

I did a little poking around and did some research after our call.  Gathered some information from the corp minutes, and noticed that the object was to find creative ways to increase market share, while reducing cost, without affecting the quality of our products or our company’s good name.  One strategy came to mind, the Concentration Strategy, just as it sounds this strategy forces or concentrate on creative ways improve market share, while reducing cost.  I noticed that your depart is a mature work force this will work will with this strategy as we develop training that support our goal by teaching team building techniques, interpersonal skill to help improve our customers.  

What do you think; can I make an appointment with your sectary to go over this and other training strategy with you at our next meeting?  

Thank you, for your time, I look forward to working with your.





Conclusion:

In a world of change, training and development of personnel is the key to unlock the resource that will produce your success.  But first you must believe it has value…...
file://localhost/Users/daqueen/Desktop/Week%201.mp3

7 comments:

  1. Sandra,
    Interesting speech. One queston though, how will team building techniques help the clients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia,

      I was thinking that since these are employees of different ages/abilities, team building techniques could teach them how to bridge the learning gap between the different skill sets/knowledge base. With these techniques they would be taught how to interact with each other, allowing each to learn how they can contribute to the team environment as effective participants. What's your thought on team build, do you see any benefit as a method?

      Delete
  2. Great post Sandra,
    I like the conversational style of your script. I tried repeatedly, but unable to load the mp3 version.'You wrote"What do you think; can I make an appointment with your sectary to go over this and other training strategy with you at our next meeting?".
    What are your intentions for this followup?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Folashade,

      My intention was to get my foot in the door, a way of getting them to bite on the idea of hearing more about training. As describe by Dr. Stolovitch most don't want to deal with change unless their was a benefit that out weighted the investment or time required to accomplish the change. As a way of getting a commitment to talk more by asking "What do you think; can I make an appointment with your sectary to go over this and other training strategy with you at our next meeting?" does that as well as, allows me more time to dig around and better prepare with more details a plan for our next meeting that could be schedule accordingly verse this meeting that I considered first impression type of meeting.

      Thanks for your questions

      Reference:

      Stolovitch, H., & Keeps, E. (2004). Training Ain't Performance. Alexandria, VA: ASTD.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sandra,

    I found your speech interesting and positive. I too was unable to access your audio file. Also, I was unable to identify three key concepts about training. Would you identify the three concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra,
    I agree with Folashade, the personalized tone of the speech is very good. I liked the fact that you caught the attention of Mr. Russell by mentioning how you can help save him money. I also liked that you would recommend they use a Concentration Strategy to improve market share and reduce cost. Patricia asks a good question regarding how team-building techniques would help your client. How else would training support the department’s strategic goals?
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike,

    Thanks for your posting, I have provided my response to Patricia: "I was thinking that since these are employees of different ages/abilities, team building techniques could teach them how to bridge the learning gap between the different skill sets/knowledge base. With these techniques they would be taught how to interact with each other, allowing each to learn how they can contribute to the team environment as effective participants." Upon completion of the training, the desired outcome would be that they could collectively move forward as a team working together to improving product qualities from their different perspective and back ground knowledge. (Noe, R., 2010) Another type of training would be interpersonal skills training. By improving these skills it may minimize miscommunication, that leads to misinterpreting directions, that leads to wasted efforts and more cost to redo the task. All leading to possible lose of revenue due to lose of customer.(Noe, R., 2010) This skill when mastered will help reduce operating cost.

    Reference:

    Noe, R. (2010). Employee Training and Development. New York: McGraw - Hill Irwin.

    ReplyDelete