My Blog List

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Learning Theories Adventure

I have a deeper understanding of the different learning theories and learning styles, and to be honest it was sometime overwhelming all the information associated with each of them but it opened my eyes that learning is simple and complex; as well as learning occurs as an individual and/or in a group environment. I never put much thought into the assumption that learning is consent, and why we forget learned information but I have to admit I was surprised to find out the answer.  I learned a little bit about my own personal learning style, my strengths and weakness and how they work with my learning style preference.  All of this information has provided me with the insight to design better lessons for my student’s by understanding how different people learn and how to apply different or use a combination of strategies/theories/learning styles to design my lesson; providing the optimal benefit to my students.

      I have learned that I swing back and forth between several different theories (of Behavioral, Constructivist, Social and adult learning theories) depending on the subject or the learning situation.  I also discovered that I pull more towards the audio learning style and that I recall information better when it is relevant and familiar to me or I when I can discuss it with others.

        The role that technology has played in my learning was a very big surprise, I never was good with technology (Internets and blogs) or open discussions, and I was comfortable with the   same old methods of transferring knowledge with lectures and PowerPoint.  I never gave much thought to how new technology can help improve my lessons (never having access to the tools), or how I could reach more students, tapping into their best method of learning.  As mentioned previously (audio learner), I was sinking with all the required reading but I was able to reinforce my reading with YouTube video on the same subject, allowing me to hear the subject being presented, reinforcing my understanding of the information I was reading. The use of discussions allowed me to open up and share my thought; taking a change to express myself.  No matter what the level of my knowledge was at the time because the learning environment was safe to collaboration with my peers, everyone share their thoughts and experience allowing me the opportunity to grow my knowledge level.  I can see how the use of technology will benefit my students and help to improve my lesson designs.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment